Leica Announces Improved M System Cameras, Price Increase
Since we posted this article on , both Adorama and B&H Photo & Video have started accepting preorders for the Leica “M-P” (Type 240) digital rangefinder camera. Orders are expected to start shipping in .
- Leica “M-P” (Type 240)
- Street price: $7950 USD
- SKU 799429107734 (Black) 799429107727 (Silver Chrome)
MIAMI — Leica Camera AG has just announced an upgraded version of their flagship M (Type 240) rangefinder, the Leica M-P (Type 240). The camera, which retails for $7,950 USD, incorporates cosmetic changes similar to the upgrade from the Leica M9 to M9-P. Removing the red dot logo from the front and engraving the top plate with the Leica script, the M-P restores the rangefinder’s classic appearance.
M-P Camera Improvements
Key improvements and differences include:
- Scratch-resistant sapphire glass rear LCD display
- 2GB image buffer allows longer continuous shooting (M has 1GB buffer)
- Red Leica dot & “M” logo removed from camera front
- Leica script engraved on top plate
- Frame line selector lever added back (M removed it)
- Info button, directional pad, & thumb wheel “blacked out” on black paint model
- “Leica Camera Made in Germany” removed from top plate rear
Price Increase for M Also Announced
Currently, both cameras retail for $6,950 USD. The price jumps to $7,250. Orders must be placed before to receive the lower price.